Massage is one of the most ancient methods of holistic care that is now increasingly used in specialized medical and therapeutic settings to enhance the pace of healing. According to latest research report published in the scientific journal Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, up to 20% of the general population seeks massage therapy for the management of their health issues, and the number continues to grow. It's easy to see why, since massage therapy can hasten healing and reduce stress. At Donay Chiropractic in Ubrana, OH, we offer massage therapy alongside chiropractic care to enhance treatment outcomes.
What Conditions Can Massage Treat?
Various research studies and clinical trials have proved the efficacy of massage therapy in the short term as well as long-term management of various health issues such as:
Other benefits of using massage therapy in the rehabilitation are:
- Musculoskeletal issues like muscle soreness (after injury, trauma or exertion) and stiffness of muscles (as a result of acute or chronic inflammation).
- Limited range of motion
- Frozen Shoulder
- Temporo-mandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Gastrointestinal issues such as low gastric motility (or constipation)
- Emotional and psychological well-being, massage induces relaxation (by promoting the release of endorphins and other chemicals that induce a feeling of euphoria and satiety).
- Decrease the rate of progression of chronic issues such as Parkinson’s disease
- Rehabilitation/ enhancing the speed of recovery
- To reduce the risk of permanent disability
- To minimize the intensity and severity of pain symptoms
- Miscellaneous conditions: This include vascular or tension type headaches/migraines, bronchitis, disorders of swallowing and other similar lesions.
Massage therapy improves the rate of tissue healing and recovery by promoting the flow of blood across damaged/ recovering tissues. In addition, massage therapy also helps in reducing the edema/ swelling in the setting of acute injury that further helps in optimizing recovery by promoting the timely delivery of nutrients.
How Can Massage Complement Chiropractic Care?
Urbana chiropractor Dr. Donay encourages patients to utilize massage therapy in combination with chiropractic procedures to enhance the quality of results. That's why he has a licensed massage therapist at his office. Here's how massage and chiropractic go hand-in-hand:
- Massage therapy increases the release of special brain chemicals (also known as endorphins or enkephalins) that induces relaxation, analgesia and soothing relief.
- Massage helps in improving the flexibility and free movement of muscles
- By improving the blood flow and circulation across the tissues, massage therapy helps in eliminating the toxins, chemicals and free radicals (that induces inflammation and swelling to alter the course of recovery).
If you're interested in how massage can help to restore your health, contact our office in Urbana, OH today. Check out out massage events page for specials.
Harris, P. E., Cooper, K. L., Relton, C., & Thomas, K. J. (2014). Prevalence of visits to massage therapists by the general population: a systematic review. Complementary therapies in clinical practice, 20(1), 16-20.